The Case for Belt Bags

Maybe it’s because I live in NYC, but I’ve been seeing the belt bag trend e v e r y w h e r e. At work, on the subway, and on the streets, I see people proudly and fashionably wearing their fanny packs belt bags across the chest. If you asked me how to style a belt bag a year ago, heck, six to eight months ago, I wouldn’t have said across the body. And yet, here I am now, proud owner of my very own belt bag, wearing it like a crossbody rather than a belt.

RELATED POST: HOW TO STYLE A CHERRY PRINT DRESS

I initially thought the belt bag trend was silly, but slowly but surely, I’ve been converted. I cannot tell you how AMAZING it is to be both handsfree and constantly in sight of your belongings. As the paranoid person I am, carrying any sort of crossbody makes me ever so slightly anxious. Although I have always lived in cities, I am still terrified of being pickpocketed/having stuff fall out of my bag.  Honestly, I am so glad this trend is happening so that I can look cool and soothe my anxious mind at the same time.
I wasn’t necessarily planning to spend any money on a belt bag to follow this trend. I considered using my employee allowance at work to nab one, but fate stepped in and I came across a mini perforated leather one at a thrift store for less than $5. SOLD! That way, if this fad subsides, I’m not left feeling dumb for forking over tons of $$$/allowance. The shoppable slider below has my top picks for cute and affordable belt bags, but I also threw in some higher end ones just for fun (the snake print one nails two trends in one, animal prints are everywhere right now!).
In terms of how to style a belt bag with your existing wardrobe, the good thing is, they match with pretty much anything. For a true street-style vibe, I paired mine with a graphic tee, denim skirt, and heeled booties.

Shirt: Target

Sunglasses: Amazon

Skirt: ASOS

Belt Bag: Thrifted, similar here

Shoes: Urban Outfitters, similar here

how to style a belt bag

belt bag

how to style a belt bag

how to wear a belt bag

Do you own a belt bag? How did you style yours? What do you think of this trend overall? Leave your thoughts with me in the comments below.

Connect with me on social:

Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

This post uses affiliate links. NRoH thanks you for your support!

1. August 29, 2018 / 11:57 am

Very cool concept. I may just have to buy my own belt bag

2. Nicole
    August 29, 2018 / 8:38 pm

I like how you styled this – not sure I could pull it off!

3. August 29, 2018 / 9:08 pm

You look fabulous!! Been thinking about purchasing one for months!

4. August 29, 2018 / 10:46 pm

I don’t own a belt bag but I do think one would come in handy for events like concerts or festivals. Truthfully, I wouldn’t be willing to splurge on one but if I found a cute one for $5 like you I might take the plunge!

5. August 30, 2018 / 8:32 am

I feel like I’m not cool enough to wear a belt bag but you make it look so effortless!!

6. August 30, 2018 / 10:14 am

These look like fanny packs to me! haha but super cute i just cant rock them

7. adriana
    August 30, 2018 / 11:03 am

I think they’re so cute! I’m not sure I can pull one off, but you sure do!

8. August 30, 2018 / 8:43 pm

Oh man the last time I used a belt bag was in Disney World around 1998… I don’t know if I can revive it!

9. August 31, 2018 / 12:28 am

I’ve been seeing these more and more… I always swore I’d never own a fanny pack again. LOL. It’s so funny how trends grow on us and turn us into converts. I went through this with gauchos in the early 2000s 😀

10. August 31, 2018 / 6:07 pm

I don’t feel like my style is *cool* enough to pull it off but your look is perfect with the belt bag! I also am always fearing pickpocketing when I’m in larger, busier cities… It makes me so anxious!

11. August 31, 2018 / 11:31 pm

This trend is cute, but I just can’t get on board! I’m not confident enough in the way they look on me too pull it off the way you do!

12. September 4, 2018 / 9:40 am

I am a forever fan of fanny packs! Is it embarrassing to admit that I have several! Love this bag…perfect for travel